EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
As a Product Designer you will help shape the user experience for the world’s most powerful research platform and join a fast growing, high impact UX team. In this role, you’ll be asked to deliver best-in-class designs that balance both business and user needs.
The Product Designer reports into the Director, User Experience Design. The ideal candidate will have a passion for exceptional design, an innate curiosity and a hunger to continually develop new skills. We value people with the ability to communicate their own ideas but also show openness to the views of others. You’ll be asked to work collaboratively to brainstorm, question, hypothesize and then deliver killer design solutions.
- Develop visual concepts (i.e. sketches, wireframes, user interface concepts and interactive prototypes) to feed user testing and feature work to be executed by agile development teams.
- Ability to solve complex scenarios with elegant and compelling design patterns for both mobile and web.
- Comfortable receiving and providing feedback to other designers, developers and stakeholders.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement to make the Academic Research process more enjoyable and efficient.
- Work closely with product managers to provide direction and vision for product roadmaps.
- Partner with engineers to build and iterate on design patterns advocating for a learning ecosystem for both design and development.
Work within a common design process to take broad, conceptual ideas and translate them into actionable design solutions.
- Primarily design within the bounds of feature-level work, but show the ability to still see the “big picture,” delivering consistent solutions that reinforce EBSCO’s brand presence.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure adherence to EBSCO interface standards.
- Experience designing for small screen with examples of responsive web, Mobile App development (IOS and Adriod).
Keep current in user-centered design principles, web design best practices, accessibility, visual trends and emerging web technologies.
- Goal is to stay on top of visual trends and emerging web technologies. Research new interactive solutions, graphics, color schemes, interface usability, and design ideas.
- Work closely with other designers in creating concept presentations of new interface design or graphics ideas.
- Continually question and suggest improvements to EBSCO’s design processes.
- Positive attitude
- Good judgement
- Open communication
- Desire to make an impact
- Eager to understand
- Team player
- A strong portfolio of graphical or interactive designs, web sites and/or web applications that can be evaluated as part of the interview process.
- 1-3 years in interactive web interface design and/or graphic arts.
- Expert-level skills working in design tools and applications (Sketch, Invision, Adobe Creative Cloud, Webflow, etc).
- Ability to draw and communicate visual ideas quickly and coherently.
- Solid oral, written and listening communication skills
- 4-year college degree in Human Factors Engineering, Interface Design, Graphic Arts, or related field.
- Experience working with HTML and CSS.
- Working knowledge of accessibility standards.
- Familiarity with a multitude of User Research methodologies and experience designing from research findings.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and be self-directed in daily tasks, and to work well in a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation.
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.